Restoration Updates – April 2019

Lots has been going on, ‘Portbury’ has just finished working the busy Bank Holiday weekend.

A few weeks ago the Steam Crane’s jib was re-painted.

The Turbot’s vacuum brake cylinder was due for overhaul, so in March it was shunted out of the service train and outside the shed, where the work was carried out.

Here it is, freshly refurbished.

The BD open wagon’s repaint is pressing ahead. The planks still have a few years left in them so since the wagon won’t be carrying much in the way of loads, the scabby looking planks were simply turned around in situ.

 

Advertisements

Wagon Restoration Update – March 2019

The next wagon to be overhauled at M Shed is the LSWR 8 plank open mineral wagon, built 1921 and numbered as BD 27.

The below pictures show it shortly after being shunted into the shed, Bob is tracing the sign writing to use as a template later. Since these photos were taken several planks have been removed for replacement.

GW Ballast Wagon Restoration

Pictures from this morning of the latest wagon to go through the workshop, the GW Ballast Wagon (BR telegraphic code ‘Starfish’).

The running gear is being cleaned up and red oxide primer applied, while the black painted bodywork is being signwritten by Bob Edwardes.

GW Ballast Wagon in the Running Shed 29/1/2019

This wagon was the victim of a graffiti attack a few years ago, which obliterated the text on this side. Bob was able to trace the existing text on the North facing side, then apply chalk to the rear of the tracing paper, which leaves a witness mark on the wagon when traced over. This gives the outline for the text.

More wagon restorations

Exciting times at the BHR! Following on from the Sulphuric Acid tanker, the team are wasting no time and have also completed a cosmetic restoration of flat wagon number 31568, an ex-PBA tank wagon chassis.

Pictured here in company with the MOGO and the tank wagon.

The flat wagon is currently carrying a component of the next one to undergo refurbishment, the cover for ex-GWR ‘Starfish’ ballast wagon, built 1936 at Swindon.

Pictured here a few years ago:

The BHR in 1978/1979

As the 40th year of the BHR’s operation enters Autumn, here’s a look back to 1978 and 1979.

These photographs were taken by Tim Venton, to whom I am very grateful for allowing them to be reproduced here.

The first two are from May 1978 and show ‘Henbury’ and the TOAD brake van at rest outside the Bristol Industrial Museum.

The second batch of photographs were taken on 16th September 1979. These are fantastic as historical references as they show the extent of track on the quayside and the difference to the present-day.