In December 2021 we said goodbye to ex-PBA, ex-LMS open wagon No.66045. After years spent looking rather forlorn in the yard it is going to a new home at the Talyllyn Railway in Tywyn. It is due to be restored and placed in the re-laid standard gauge siding at Wharf station to demonstrate how slate was once transferred from the 2’3″ gauge stock to the rest of the network.
Crane 32 undertook the lift with ease thanks to its 10 ton rating. Thanks to Bob Edwardes for the photos.
With thanks to a member of the Avon Valley Railway group who passed on this photo via Bob Edwardes. Believed to have been taken by Rex Coffin in around 1952 (judging by the fact that Crane 32 looks brand new) it shows 5700 class pannier tank No. 7790 at the head of a train of loaded conflats on the quayside line. The loco is still in faded G W R livery and has a GW shunters’ truck attached to the front. On the extreme right of the photo it looks as though a road wagon is parked across what is now the main running line. In the background to the left can be seen the crane whose pedestal still stands at the edge of Lloyds Amphitheatre.
It’s been a week since the first public outing for the working exhibits in over a year, Docks Heritage Weekend. What a blast! So great to have the volunteers working with the public again. Both Portbury and Henbury were on display and the capstan was back in operation both days, and crane 30 was kept busy loading and unloading the lorry. Quayside operations were bolstered with audience interaction from the Show of Strength Theatre company. Thanks for Bob, Bruce and the M Shed social media channels for these photos of the weekend.
Work on Henbury progresses as Coronavirus restrictions are relaxed. The majority of the loco has been reassembled and today it was pulled out of the shed to have a warming fire lit. Over the next few days the loco will steadily be brought up to pressure and every joint checked.
Thanks to Rob Skuse for the photos and information.
Nicholas Tozer published this rather lovely video of a blue ‘Portbury’ operating trains in the early 1990s. It’s amazing to see the differences in the background, like the old sidings, the sleeper wall where the flats near SS GB halt now are. Also note the W.Vincent wagon being used for passengers, these days it is back to being a coal wagon.
In 1998, ex-Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 0F ‘Pug’ No.51218, now based at the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway but once allocated to Bristol Barrow Road shed, ran on a special photo charter at Bristol Industrial Museum.
Good news as Henbury’s boiler has arrived back at M-Shed. I believe this boiler dates from 1955 as it was a new one fitted to ‘Mackenzie’ which had the winged smokebox front typical of earlier Pecketts. In or around 1960, the boiler was fitted to ‘Henbury’ which previously had a straight smokebox front.
Lots of steps still to go through on re-assembly but the boiler is one of the biggest hurdles in any overhaul!