Locomotive No.3 – (Fox, Walker and Company No. 242)

A little known and lesser-spotted member of the M Shed Collection is Fox, Walker and Company 0-6-0ST Locomotive Number 242.

Built in 1874, it is the oldest of the three steam locomotives, being 43 years older than ‘Portbury’ (and 63 years older than ‘Henbury’!) and enables the museum to represent all the major engine builders in the Bristol area.

Fox, Walker and Company was taken over by Thomas Peckett in 1880 and became Peckett and Sons, the builders of ‘Henbury’ and her sisters.

242 was the first locomotive to arrive in the museum’s collection. It was donated by the National Coal Board in 1962, having previously worked at Mountain Ash Colliery in Wales, where it was No.3.

These two photographs were spotted for sale on ebay, unfortunately only the thumbnails were available to view online. They show 242 while still at Mountain Ash.
$(KGrHqV,!n8FD-3+bhZEBROP3fMZbw~~60_35

$T2eC16N,!ykE9s7tvVK)BRm6NDZSy!~~60_35

This photo is copyright Malcolm Williams and was found on steamlocomotive.info It shows NCB Mountain Ash No.3 in detail before departing for Preservation.

This photo is copyright Malcolm Williams and was found on steamlocomotive.info
It shows NCB Mountain Ash No.3 in detail before departing for Preservation.

Prior to the preserved BHR opening in 1978, she, along with ‘Henbury’ and ‘Portbury’, was to be found at Radstock Station. This was the hub of the initiative to re-open a section of the famous S and D route, spearheaded by the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust. As previously mentioned, the SDRT moved to Washford station on the WSR in 1976.
Geoff Cryer took these pictures of 242 in the shed at Radstock in September 1975.

Source: http://www.geoffspages.co.uk/raildiary/radstock.htm and http://www.geoffspages.co.uk/monorail/gc01.htm

When the Radstock project was disbanded, Number 242 went to Bitton (on what is now the Avon Valley Railway) between 1977 and 1986, when she returned to Bristol and was stored in L Shed.
As preparations were made for Bristol Industrial Museum’s conversion into M Shed Museum, the locomotive was made ready to move to another secure location.

Larry the Loader tows 242 out of the workshop.

Photo courtesy Rob Skuse
Source: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.198379386934483&type=1

As for the future, at nearly 140 years old, there are no current plans to return 242 to steam. Her current storage space may be repurposed due to planned development, so a move might be on the cards. Watch this space…

A Pannier in the Port – 1996

Back in 1996, ex-GWR pannier tank 1369 (Now based at the South Devon Railway) paid a visit to Bristol Harbour.
The Weymouth Docks shunter, last survivor of the 1366 class, was reminiscent of panniers formerly used on the harbour lines.

Here are a collection of photos from the visit. All photographs are copyright of their respective owners, a huge thank you goes out for allowing them to be reproduced here.

gordon-edgar-gwr-1369-1
1369 on the shed road while ‘Henbury’ stands by.
Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/5809563945/
Copyright Gordon Edgar


Performing a runpast with the goods.
Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dorneyphoto/10691844086/in/photostream/
Copyright Ian Silvester ( http://www.dorneyphoto.com/ )


Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8523292@N03/4081645814/sizes/z/in/photostream/

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8523292@N03/4081645892/sizes/z/in/photostream/

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8523292@N03/11090871735/in/photostream/

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8523292@N03/4080884331/sizes/z/in/photostream/

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8523292@N03/11090975914/in/photostream/
Above images are all Copyright Geoff Hartland

The charter featured Ashton Avenue Swing Bridge, still available for use at the time. The area behind the loco is the current site of Butterfly Junction Halt. In 1996 there was a run-around loop in place at Ashton Meadows.
The swing bridge’s deteriorating condition meant that it was taken out of use in the late 1990s, and the track on the South side of the New Cut was lifted to make way for new housing (The houses do not occupy the permanent way, but the trackbed was used for site offices and vehicle parking during construction).

Bristol Metrobus – Revised Plans

The Government has approved Bristol’s rapid transit Metrobus scheme, as reported by the BBC here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-24835593

Previously, the plans called for the railway line along the New Cut to be rebuilt into a combined busway and railway. This route has now been amended so that buses will use Cumberland Road, and will not run along the harbourside.
The current plans envisage a remodelling of the railway near the Create Centre to accommodate the busway as it crosses a rebuilt Ashton Avenue Bridge. The plans have the busway utilise the current railway alignment in order to join Cumberland Road on the level, with the railway being re-aligned.

Details of the plans (Including the amended route) are available on the Metrobus website:
http://www.travelwest.info/node/526

Here is a plan of the proposed works. Please note that the revised route for the BHR is not shown, as it is yet to be decided.

A-Bond-Metrobus-Plan-Nov2013

Portbury in Preservation

Avonside No. 1764 ‘Portbury’ was built in 1917 for the war effort, destined to work at the Portbury shipyards. The end of the war in 1918 meant the shipyard never actually built a vessel.
She eventually moved into the fleet of shunters based in Avonmouth and worked there until replaced by diesels.

Here are a few photos from across the internet of her life in preservation.

In the early 1970s, all three of the BHR’s steam locomotives were to be found at Radstock station in Somerset. This was part of a preservation effort to save and operate a section of the Somerset and Dorset Railway.

Here she is outside the shed, looking rather forlorn.
26
Source: http://www.geoffspages.co.uk/raildiary/radstock.htm

and another pic inside the shed next to 7F 53808

Portbury sharing space in Radstock Shed

Portbury sharing space in Radstock Shed

Unfortunately, the project at Radstock was unsuccessful and the Somerset and Dorset Railway Heritage Trust relocated to Washford on the West Somerset Railway.
‘Henbury’, ‘Portbury’ and No. 242 found their way to the Bristol Harbour Railway, opened in 1978.

‘Portbury’s restoration was completed in Bristol and she was in brought into operation on the BHR.
Here she is in lined blue livery back in 1992.

Porbury-Blue-1992

Original source:
http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/File%3APortbury%202.jpg/-/en

and in operation in 1996
portbury-1996-blue-flickr

Source: http://bit.ly/1erjN1L

After another overhaul, she emerged in 2001 in a livery akin to the one she first wore, the initials ‘I W & D’ stand for ‘Inland Waterways and Docks’.

portbury-2001

Source: http://www.bristoljpg.co.uk/2004/portbury.jpg

Now, in 2013, this livery has been adapted to more accurately represent her 1917 condition – note the lack of nameplate (She was not named ‘Portbury’ until her time at Avonmouth Docks) and the black wheels.
IMG_1595

End of Season – 2013

Today was the last day of operation for the M Shed working exhibits. ‘Portbury’, the steam tug ‘Mayflower’, and the steam crane were all in service.

Portbury was given a clean before collecting the passenger train.

IMG_1824

IMG_1825

I spent the morning on the train – mostly trying to keep seats dry in between showers!

IMG_1832

IMG_1833

The afternoon was spent dismantling the fence and gateway across the shed road, this is where the new access road is going to go. The point nearest the camera (To the now defunct line around the back of M Shed) is coming out and being replaced with plain rail and concrete sleepers.

IMG_1843

This cake was the best thing I’ve seen this year, made by Emily.

IMG_1834

IMG_1836

At the end of the day, ‘Portbury’ pulled the goods rake out from the long siding and coupled the NE brake van to the passenger train…

IMG_1852

IMG_1886

IMG_1908

IMG_1911

IMG_1912

IMG_1914

IMG_1915

..before heading back to the shed.

IMG_1920

IMG_1921

Services begin again in Easter, but there’s a lot of work to do in between now and then, so keep checking back for updates!

Yard remodelling and site clearance

The Barn has now been dismantled and stored on wagons in the yard, allowing the headshunt to be reconnected to the shed road once more.

IMG_1659

IMG_1660

IMG_1662

Down at A Bond, site clearance has taken place with a view to the proposed remodelling.

IMG_1666

IMG_1667

IMG_1673

The war between the pro and anti bus route campaigners has spilled onto the paths.

IMG_1679

IMG_1677

Finally, a giant lottery ball hit L shed.

IMG_1685

Dismantling ‘The Barn’

A lot can change in a week! There is a hole in the sky as ‘The Barn’ is dismantled. In the current redevelopment plans, the siding on the right will be reconnected to the shed road on the left, forming a loop into the yard again. The stone setts on the right (under the telehandler) are to be replaced with an access road, which will cross both lines roughly where I am standing to take the picture. This will take traffic away from the current choke point around the front of the Olive Shed.

IMG_1651

IMG_1653

Alfred and Judy Operating Weekend: Highlights

Just a little compilation of photographs and video from 14th-15th September 2013, when Port of Par twins ‘Alfred’ and ‘Judy’ worked trains together with resident ‘Portbury’.

Here’s a few videos on Youtube of the trio in action:

Saturday’s operations by 47840chaser

theonlyadzrulz recorded Sunday’s workings

Sunday saw Portbury develop a small steam leak which should be fixed soon.

Shunting taking place on Friday in the pouring rain (A large roof hatch is good for visibility but not ideal for stopping drips!)

IMG_1574

IMG_1577

IMG_1579

IMG_1583

IMG_1586

Lastly, some photos from Sunday’s workings.

IMG_1593

IMG_1596

IMG_1605

IMG_1606

IMG_1610

IMG_1612

IMG_1619

A huge thanks must go out to all those involved in arranging for the twin engines’ visit.

Alfred and Judy’s Photo Charter

Bagnall locomotives ‘Alfred’ and ‘Judy’ took part in a photo charter with resident Avonside ‘Portbury’ on Thursday 12th September. Martin Creese of 30742 charters took the following images and has kindly given permission for them to be reposted here.

Portbury and Par Twins on the dockside






You can see all the pics on Martin’s flickr set here:

Along the harbourside

Additionally, flickr user ‘Mangotsfield Mike’ took some pictures of the prep, visible at the following link:
Alfred & Judy Bristol Harbour Railway

Finally, here’s a small clip of the two locos parallel running on the dockside.